Date: October 26th to 28th, 2020
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
The REP™ programme is designed to recognise the expertise and experience of professionals involved in the specification and application of renewable and alternative energy technologies, assessment of renewable energy projects, and development of achievable low-carbon and sustainability goals for organisations.
REP™ is an international qualification programme for professionals, introduced in 2010, by the Association of Energy Engineers (AEE), based in the USA. AEE programs distinguish the most qualified professionals that have demonstrated high levels of experience, competence and specialised knowledge in their respective fields of certification.
The REP™ training explores the various forms of low-carbon energy sources, as well as the environmental impacts of alternative energy. Acquire the skills and theory to be able to provide credible and sustainable solutions in the renewable and alternative energy sector. The REP™ training is presented over 3 days and followed by a voluntary examination on the next day or later date, which could lead to international certification with the AEE.
- Renewable energy basics
- The latest developments in wind power systems, solar thermal heating, photovoltaic generation, geothermal heating, electrical production, biofuels, waste-to-energy systems, energy storage, fuel cells, hydroelectric power, ocean thermal energy
- Assessments of the various forms of renewable energy
- Case examples of renewable energy projects
- Strengths and weaknesses of renewable energy applications
- Using renewable energy solutions in building applications
- Opportunities for using renewable energy strategies for making a business case for using renewables
- Economic issues, financial methodologies and incentives
- Approval processes
- Lessons learned and pitfalls to avoid
Steps to Certification
- Attend the REP™ training course with an AEE approved training partner.
- Write the REP™ examination and attain a 70%+ pass mark.
- Complete your REP™ certification application and return it to your training provider timeously.
- The local and international REP™ Board will review your application.
- Your training provider will advise you of the Board’s decision.
Delegates will have a full understanding of the range of renewable energy resources available, be able to assess the applicability of each for suitable applications, and understand the economic issues surrounding renewables within the business environment.
There are not pre-requisites to attend the training course, it is a public course and all interested parties are welcome. The pre-requisites only come into play when a candidate wishes to write and pass the examination, and apply for international Certification. The course content is presented by dynamic trainers, and is of interest and value to any person in the energy industry, whether experienced or just starting out.
Persons with energy management, or renewable and alternative energy experience, who require a recognised qualification within the energy engineering career path.
For architects, built environment graduates, engineering graduates, environmental graduates the REP™ will open new world.
Persons that require recognition as a professional that stays up to date on the latest developments in the renewable energy industry by participating in continued education that is internationally recognised.
For persons that have to find ways of saving energy and providing alternative means of energy through biomass, biofuel, solar, or other renewable and alternative sources.
Basic Skill Requirements
The REP™ training course is at a level which assumes the delegate has basic problem-solving skills, including quick and accurate use of a hand calculator. The REP® examination may be written on the next day or a later date – subject to pre-application and registration. This is additional to the course cost and duration days. There is no obligation to write the REP® exam on the last day, an alternative examination day may be registered for as long as it is within three years of attending the training course. Delegates wishing to only attend the training may do so.
- Pre-registration for the examination is required and 85% or more attendance of the class based training. Kindly also inform us beforehand of your intention to apply for certification from the AEE.
- Should you fail the examination, you may register for a rewrite, as long as it is within three years of the training. Examination must be written 60 days apart.
- All delegates that attend in excess of 85% of the REP® training course will receive a certificate of attendance with the ECSA CPD credits.
NOTE: AEE Examination results will only be released by the EnTF’s AEE Certification department to candidates in good standing with the EnTF.
Eligibility For Certification
The prerequisites to qualify for the certification process have been designed to take into account the possible diversity of education and practical experience an individual may have. However, each REP™ candidate must attend the REP™ training programme, pass the REP™ 4-hour written examination with 70%, and meet one of the following criteria:
- A 4-year degree in engineering, architecture, science, business, or related field, with 2 years of experience in renewables, alternative energy, biomass, biofuel, solar or training related industry.
- A 2-year technical degree with 5 years of experience in renewables, alternative energy, biomass, biofuel, solar or related industry.
- 10 years or more verified experience in renewables, alternative energy, biomass, biofuel, solar or training related industry.
- The current status of Certified Energy Manager (CEM®).
- Re-certification is required every 3 years subject to participation in the AEE continuing education program (CEP).
Examination: A 4-hour voluntary examination may be written in the afternoon on he next day, or a later date – subject to pre-application and registration